Looking to add a special touch to your next cake? Learn how to make cake flowers for a beautiful and unique decoration!
Checkout this video:
In order to make cake flowers, you will need the following materials: cake mix, food coloring, piping bags, and piping tips. You will also need a cake board, cardboard, and a dowel rod. With these materials, you will be able to make beautiful cake flowers for your next celebration.
Fondant is a type of icing that is often used to cover cakes or to make decorations. It is made from sugar, water, corn syrup, and gelatin. Fondant is very easy to work with and it can be rolled out into thin sheets. Fondant can be tinted with food coloring or be left white.
To make a cake, you will need the following ingredients:
-1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) salt
-1/2 cup (125 mL) butter, softened
-1 cup (250 mL) sugar
-2 eggs, beaten
-1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) vanilla extract
-1/2 cup (125 mL) milk
You will also need:
(or another type of icing, if preferred)
-Tube of decorating gel in desired color
(or food coloring, if preferred)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease and flour an 8″x8″x2″ cake pan.
2. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, cream butter or margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla extract; beat well. Stir in flour mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
5. When cake is cool, frost with buttercream frosting or another type of icing. If using food coloring, add a few drops to gel or icing until desired color is achieved; mix well. Using a piping bag fitted with a star tip, pipe flowers onto the top of the cake in desired pattern
Icing is one of the most important ingredients in cake decorating. It can be used to cover a cake, fill and shape cakes, or create decorations. There are many different types of icing, and each has its own uses. Choosing the right icing for your cake will depend on the effect you want to create.
Buttercream icing is the most common type of icing used in cake decorating. It is made from butter, sugar, and eggs, and can be flavored with extracts or liqueurs. Buttercream is easy to work with and can be used to create a variety of effects, from smooth surfaces to ruffles and flowers.
Fondant is a thick, creamy icing made from sugar and water. It can be flavored with extracts or liqueurs, and is often colored with food coloring. Fondant is used to cover cakes smoothly, or it can be rolled out and cut into shapes. It can also be used to make 3D decorations such as flowers or animals.
Ganache is a rich chocolate icing made from chocolate and cream. It can be flavoured with liqueurs or extracts, and is often used as a filling for cakes or truffles. Ganache can also be poured over a cake to create a smooth, glossy surface.
Royal icing is made from sugar and egg whites, and can be flavored with extracts or liqueurs. It dries hard, making it ideal for creating delicate decorations that will last long after the cake is eaten. Royal icing can also be used to pipe messages or designs onto a cake surface.
Piping bags are one of the most important tools when it comes to decorating cakes, cupcakes, and other pastries. They allow you to pipe icing, frosting, and other decorations onto your desserts with precision and control. There are a few different types of piping bags available on the market, but the most common is the disposable piping bag. These are made from lightweight plastic and have a small nozzle at one end that can be fitted with various types of pastry tips. Disposable piping bags are ideal for novice decorators or for those who don’t want to worry about cleaning a large, bulky bag after use.
No two flowers are alike, so give yourself a variety of options when it comes to cutter size and shape. You’ll use these cutters to create different parts of your flowers, including the petals, leaves, and centers. Choose cutters that are made of food-grade materials such as stainless steel or plastic. You can find cutter sets at most craft stores or online retailers that sell cake-decorating supplies.
To get started, you’ll need a few basic supplies:
– Flower cutters: You’ll use these to create different parts of your flowers, including the petals, leaves, and centers. Choose cutters that are made of food-grade materials such as stainless steel or plastic. You can find cutter sets at most craft stores or online retailers that sell cake-decorating supplies.
– Rolling pin: This will help you to roll out your fondant or gum paste evenly.
– Work surface: A cutting board or Silpat mat will work nicely. If you don’t have either of these items, you can use a clean countertop covered with a layer of parchment paper.
– Fondant or gum paste: These sugar pastes can be found at most craft stores or online retailers that sell cake-decorating supplies. They come in a variety of colors, so you can choose whichever hue best fits your event’s color scheme.
– Tylose powder: This is optional but it will help to firm up your fondant or gum paste so it’s easier to work with. You can find it at most craft stores or online retailers that sell cake-decorating supplies.
– Flower stamens: These small wire pieces come in a variety of lengths and thicknesses and can be found at most craft stores or online retailers that sell cake decorating supplies. They’re used to create the center of your flowers.
– Craft glue: You’ll need this to attach the stamens to the centers of your flowers.
Cake flowers are a beautiful and easy way to decorate any cake. They are perfect for any special occasion, from birthdays to weddings. You can use fresh or sugar flowers, or even make your own! In this tutorial, we will show you how to make cake flowers using sugar paste.
Make the flowers
To make the flowers, you’ll need:
-1 cup (250 ml) of milk
-1/2 cup (120 ml) of vegetable oil
-2 teaspoons (10 ml) of vanilla extract
-2 cups (200 grams) of all-purpose flour
-1 1/2 cups (300 grams) of sugar
-4 teaspoons (20 grams) of baking powder
-1 teaspoon (6 grams) of salt
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9x13 inch baking pan.
2. Mix milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla together. Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool cake before serving.
Cut out flowers using fondant
1. Roll out your fondant to about ⅛” thickness. Use a blossom cutter to cut out flowers. If you don’t have a blossom cutter, you can use a small round cookie cutter and then hand-cut the petals around it.
2. Place your cutouts on a wire rack that’s been dusted with cornstarch, and let them dry overnight.
3. Once the flowers are dry, paint them with food coloring using a small paintbrush. You can also dust them with shimmery edible glitter for a festive touch.
4. Attach the flowers to toothpicks, and insert them into the cake.
Assemble the flowers
You will need the following supplies:
-1 plastic or metal cake stand or plate
-1 small pastry bag or 1 quart-sized zip-top bag
-1 small star tip
-1 large star tip
-1 medium round tip
-Cake flowers of your choice (try two or three different varieties)
Follow these steps to assemble your cake flowers:
1. Place the cake stand in the center of your work area.
2. Fill the pastry bag with buttercream, then fit it with the small star tip. Pipe a dot of buttercream in the center of each flower.
3. Fit the large star tip onto the pastry bag, then pipe a mound of buttercream on top of each flower. Use a spatula to smooth out the buttercream.
4. Fit the medium round tip onto the pastry bag, then pipe a small amount of buttercream on each flower petal.5. Arrange the cake flowers on the cake stand, starting with the largest flowers in the center and working your way out.
Decorate the cake
No matter what the occasion, a homemade cake is always a welcome treat. And, with a little creativity, it can also be a work of art. These simple steps will show you how to make beautiful flowers out of frosting that are perfect for decorating any cake, cupcake, or cookie.
You will need:
-1 piping bag
-1 star tip
-1 small round tip
-1 large round tip
-Frosting in various colors
-A small paintbrush (optional)
1. Fill your piping bag with frosting. If you are using multiple colors, fill each section of the bag with a different color. Cut off the tip of the bag to create an opening that is about 1/2 inch wide.
2. For the center of the flower, hold the piping bag upright with the star tip facing down. Apply pressure to the bag and pipe a small amount of frosting onto the cake to form a star shape. Release the pressure and lift up to create a point. Repeat this step until you have made 5 or 6 stars. These will be the centers of your flowers.
3. For the petals, change to the small round tip and hold the piping bag at an angle with the opening facing down. Apply pressure to pipe a dot of frosting onto the cake. Release the pressure and pull up slightly so that one side of the dot is longer than the other. Repeat this step 5 or 6 times around each star center to create petals.
4Helper Text: You can also use a medium or large round tip for piping your flowers if you prefer larger blooms. Simply follow steps 2 and 3 using your preferred tip size
Cover the cake with icing
To cover the cake with icing, start by spreading a thin layer of icing over the top and sides of the cake with a spatula. Then, use a piping bag fitted with a small round tip to pipe a border around the edge of the cake. Finally, fill in the center of the cake with more icing and use a spatula to smooth it out.
If you want to cover the cake with fondant, start by rolling out the fondant on a surface that has been dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Then, lift the fondant up and draped it over the cake. Use your hands to smooth it out and trim off any excess.
Pipe flowers onto the cake
To pipe flowers onto the cake, start by attaching a Piping Tip #104 to a piping bag filled with pipable buttercream. For this design, I used Americolor Electric Pink, but you can use any color you’d like.
Next, hold the piping bag perpendicular to the cake and apply pressure as you move it in a small circle. As you release pressure, slightly pull the piping bag away to create the center of the flower.
Now that you have the center of the flower in place, continue applying pressure as you move the piping bag around the center in a spiral motion.Release pressure and slightly pull away as you complete each spiraling layer of your flower.
When you’re finished piping, gently tap the cake so that any loose buttercream flowers fall away. You can also use a small paintbrush to sweep away any errant crumbs.
Making cake flowers is a great way to add a special touch to any celebration cake. They are relatively easy to make and can be made using a variety of different techniques. In this article, we will share with you some tips on how to make cake flowers for your next celebration.
Use different colors of fondant to make colorful flowers
If you want to add some extra color to your cake, try using different colors of fondant to make colorful flowers. You can use a small pastry bag to pipe the fondant into small flowers, or you can use a mold to create larger flowers. You can also use small cookie cutters to create fun shapes.
Use a small amount of water to help stick the flowers onto the cake
To make your flowers stick to the cake, use a small amount of water on your fingertips and firmly press them into the buttercream. If you’re using fresh flowers, make sure they’re insect-free.