It’s important to know what flowers are poisonous to dogs in case your furry friend ever gets into your garden. Here are some of the most common poisonous flowers to keep an eye out for.
Checkout this video:
Flowers That Are Poisonous to Dogs
Did you know that some flowers are poisonous to dogs? While most flowers are safe for dogs to be around, there are a few that can cause your dog to become ill. The most common symptoms of toxicity in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, and drooling. If you think your dog has come into contact with a poisonous flower, it is important to contact your veterinarian immediately.
The most toxic part of the lily to dogs is the bulb, but all parts of the plant are harmful. Clinical signs of lily poisoning in dogs include vomiting, diarrhea, decreased appetite, depressed mood, increased urination and drinking, drooling and oral irritation. In serious cases, lily poisoning can cause kidney failure and death. All types of lilies are poisonous to dogs, including Easter lilies, tiger lilies, stargazer lilies, rubrum lilies and Japanese Showa lilies.
Sago palms are flowering plants that arerelated to cycads, which are a type of prehistoric seed plant. They are popular landscaping plants because they are slow-growing and have a long lifespan. All parts of the sago palm are poisonous to dogs, including the seeds, bark, leaves and flowers. Dogs who consume any part of the plant may experience vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors and seizures. In severe cases, consumption of sago palm can be fatal.
Tulips (Tulipa spp.) are beautiful, cheerful flowers that are often associated with spring. Unfortunately, they can also be poisonous to dogs if eaten in large quantities. All parts of the tulip plant contain toxins that can cause gastrointestinal upset, drooling, vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. In some cases, eating tulips can also lead to depression, tremors and difficulty walking. If you suspect your dog has eaten any part of a tulip, call your veterinarian immediately.
All varieties of chrysanthemum (or “mum”) contain a toxic compound called pyrethrin. Pyrethrin is present in all parts of the plant, but is most concentrated in the flower heads. While mum plants are nontoxic to humans, they can cause mild to severe reactions in dogs, including skin irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, and difficulty breathing. Chrysanthemums are commonly used as decorative plants in gardens and homes, so it’s important to be aware of their potential danger to pets. If you suspect your dog has ingested any part of a chrysanthemum plant, contact your veterinarian or local animal emergency clinic immediately.
All parts of the oleander plant are poisonous, but the leaves are especially deadly. The plant contains several toxic compounds, including cardiac glycosides that can causearrhythmias and potentially lead to cardiac failure. Oleanders are sometimes used as ornamental plants, so it’s important to keep them out of reach of pets.
What to Do If Your Dog Eats a Poisonous Flower
If you have a dog, it’s important to be aware of which flowers are poisonous to them. Some common poisonous flowers include lilies, tulips, and azaleas. If you think your dog has eaten a poisonous flower, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian.
Call the vet immediately
If your dog has eaten a poisonous flower, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian or, if they are unavailable, the 24 hour Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. Be prepared to give them the following information:
-The type of flower your dog ate
-How much they ate
-When they ate it
-If they are showing any signs of illness
Your vet will then tell you what to do next. They may instruct you to bring your dog in for treatment or they may give you instructions on how to care for them at home. In either case, it is important that you follow their instructions carefully.
Bring a sample of the flower with you
If you think your dog has eaten a poisonous flower, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. If they are not available, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435. Be sure to have the following information ready when you call:
-Your name, address, and telephone number
-Your pet’s name, age, breed, and sex
-The flower your pet ate, and when they ate it
-How much your pet weighs
-Your Veterinarian’s name and telephone number
If possible, bring a sample of the flower with you. This will help the veterinarian or poison control center determine what kind of treatment is needed.
Monitor your dog for symptoms
If your dog has eaten a poisonous flower, the first thing you should do is call your veterinarian. If it is after hours, call the nearest emergency animal hospital.
Your veterinarian will likely want to know what kind of flower your dog ate and how much they ate. They may also want to know if your dog is showing any symptoms.
Some common symptoms of poisoning in dogs include:
-Loss of appetite
If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately. If possible, bring a sample of the flower or plant that your dog ate with you to the vet so they can determine what kind of poisoning it is and how best to treat it.