Discover what flowers hummingbirds like and how you can attract them to your garden!
Checkout this video:
In North America, there are more than 50 species of hummingbirds. While they are all fascinating creatures, they do have different preferences when it comes to the types of flowers they like to visit. In this article, we will take a look at some of the most popular flowers that hummingbirds are attracted to.
What Flowers Do Hummingbirds Like?
There are many flowers that hummingbirds like, but there are a few that they really love. Some of their favorites include: honeysuckle, columbine, bleeding heart, and trumpet creeper. Let’s take a look at some of the reasons why these flowers are so attractive to hummingbirds.
Flowers That Attract Hummingbirds
Hummingbirds are some of the most beautiful and mesmerizing creatures in the world. Fortunately, they can also be relatively easy to attract to your garden or yard with the right type of flowering plants.
There are a wide variety of flowers that appeal to hummingbirds, but there are a few that are particularly effective in attracting these birds. Some of the best flowers for attracting hummingbirds include:
• Trumpet vine (Campsis radicans) – A fast-growing vine that produces bright red or orange trumpet-shaped flowers. Trumpet vine is a great choice for covering fences or trellises.
• Honeysuckle (Lonicera spp.) – A fragrant flower that comes in a variety of colors including white, pink, and yellow. Honeysuckle is a climbing vine that can reach up to 20 feet in length.
• Bee balm (Monarda didyma) – A perennial flower that produces vibrant blooms in shades of red, pink, purple, and white. Bee balm grows well in moist soil and is a favorite food source for bees and other pollinators.
• Red hot poker (Kniphofia uvaria) – A showy perennial that produces tall spikes of brightly colored flowers. Red hot poker prefers full sun and well-drained soil.
• Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis) – A striking perennial that features deep red blooms on tall stalks. Cardinal flower grows best in moist soils and shady areas.
Flowers That Do Not Attract Hummingbirds
The list of flowers that do not attract hummingbirds is much shorter than the list of those that do. Some species of hummers are attracted to a very wide variety of flowers, while others show a strong preference for only a few types. The following flowers are generally not appreciated by hummingbirds.
After doing some research, we have come to the conclusion that hummingbirds like a variety of different flowers. While they may have a preference for certain colors or types of flowers, they will ultimately drink nectar from any flower they can find. If you are looking to attract hummingbirds to your garden, we recommend planting a variety of different flowers that are native to your area.